2/5/14

When to Blog & Some Projects

Posted by Bitten Usagi at 9:39 PM
Guys, I've been trying so hard to blog here the last couple months it's ridiculous.  Especially these last couple weeks.  As in I wish I had a dollar for every time I worked on or started a post that's now just sitting in my drafts folder and then I could buy something worth blogging about or something.

Today I think I discovered most of my problem is I wait until the evening after D is in bed to try to blog and by then my brain is complete mush and all I want to do is crochet and zone out watching YouTube videos.  Oh and eat, 'cause, you know, pregnant.  Thing is I have little time before then to blog because my son has more energy that I know what to do with and having a laptop open around him is playing with fire and during nap time these days I'm napping with him because third trimester exhaustion is in full swing up in here.

Anyway, I want some of this to be actual blogging and not just talking about it so here's some things I've been up to.

I have been catching up on all the Geek & Sundry YouTubey goodness.  I love the channel but just haven't been watching much the past year because most of the TV time in this house goes to watching Despicable Me for the 4 billionth time.  We started watching once we adults go to bed, though and blew through all the Tabletop episodes we'd missed in a few days.  That show is like crack and makes our wishlist get fat and lazy.  And really expensive.

Then I started watching some of the Geek and Sundry Vlogs most of which I've fallen in love with and am obsessed with.  I was going to list a bunch of favorites but I'm thinking I might just have to make that a post of it's own because there are so many I love and still several that I have yet to check out.


I've been crocheting up a storm.  I opened an etsy shop for my amigurumi creations last year (which I recently updated with a logo, banners and all that goodness) and have been doing lots of outside orders and things really seem to be taking off this year.  In fact I'm still trying to finish Christmas presents because of orders I've gotten.  Speaking of Christmas, I'm also making Okaasan (my mom) a Scrabble Board blanket for 2014 Xmas after seeing this on Pinterest.


This particular pattern is available here.  But as with most crochet things I find there's enough I want to change that I'm actually doing my own pattern using "solid" granny squares (chart pattern below).  That and the site was nearly impossible to navigate while on my phone anyway- note to website owners, a lot of your users are mobile and if we can't use your site that way it's unlikely we'll bother once we're on our computer.  Now the granny squares I'm using are called solid granny squares, however, I found one that was more solid but I like this pattern as I prefer them not being completely solid but I didn't want them as holey as your traditional granny square.


When I'm done crocheting 225 of these bad boys, attach them and add the borders I'm wanting to add by my estimates it should be about the size of a full/queen size blanket (90"x90") and I also will have gone through approximately 26 skeins of yarn, lol.  This ought to be interesting.  

Here's my progress so far.  I'm using Caron Simply Soft in Bone for regular squares, Ocean for triple letter squares and Soft Blue for double letter squares.  I'm planning on using Soft Pink for double word squares and the middle star square and Autumn Red for triple word squares as well but just haven't grabbed those colors yet.  Plus I'll be using White, Black and some Off-White but I'll talk more about that later.

So yeah... that would be why I'm starting now because it takes up to 40 minutes per square unless I'm super speedy at them by the end of this, haha!!  It's going to be so worth it, though and I'll keep the blog updated on how things are going.  And hope my mom doesn't find it, haha!

I also made this Ood for a friend of mine and will be adding them to the shop soon, too.  

Sorry for these being crap cell phone shots, not even sure why I watermarked them but when I get time I'll try to remember to update this post with quality photos.

 Oh and I started working on a Sailor Moon collection as well.  This Sailor Moon is not the final but I haven't gotten it remade because of orders (hell of a problem to have, huh?) and I've also done Sailor Mercury but haven't gotten a pic yet because I hate her hair.  Lol.

This is one of the custom orders I've done so far this year.

I don't normally like the hair being so plastered to the doll's head but seeing as how this is for a baby I didn't want it loose enough for her to be sucking on strands or curls of hair.  Other than that I like it, though the embroidery on the front of her little overalls made me want to throw a tantrum.  Lol.

So yeah, that's what I've been up to so far this year.  Also did some cup cozies and am in the process of remaking one of my first custom orders so I'll post photos of those when I get a chance, too!  What projects are you all feverishly working on this year?

^w^

0 comments:

 

Bitten Usagi Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei