1/26/11

Four Generations

Posted by Bitten Usagi at 10:34 AM
Normally I do a Wordless Wednesday
Erm... at least when I'm posting regularly which I don't seem to be doing anyway...

but this is one of those photos that I just can't not talk about.

This is four generations of my family, taken when I was around 3.
My Great Grams (Grams' Mom), Grams (Okaasan's Mom), Okaasan and then of course me sitting on Grams' lap.  Mom thinks this was when my Great Gramps died which is probably why everyone looks a bit distracted and like they're struggling to be happy but I love this photo anyway because the best part of it?
I knew my Great Grams.

She was a wonderful woman.  I remember staying there in the basement and waking up to the ceiling creaking like crazy (the house was pretty old and wonderful and had so much character, I miss it) and when you came upstairs she'd have all sorts of stuff laid out for breakfast.  When I was little it seemed like a buffet, haha.  She also had the coolest old stool to sit on too.  It was vinyl and had the steps to use as a step stool.  I actually said something about wanting it and found out my Great Uncle had it and was like if she wants it she can have it so it now graces our kitchen, in serious need of refurnishing.  It's very well loved, haha.  She always had toys (though some were quite old) for me when I came to stay.  We had to break into her house once.  She had forgotten her purse and I being the smallest (probably 7 or so at the time) got the job of crawling through the window, lmao.

When her sons gave her crap she gave it right back.  She was sweet but passionate.  I consider myself lucky to know her.  I didn't see her much in the months before she died, which oddly enough was when my other cousins saw her most.  She had Alzheimers really bad and I didn't want to remember her that way.  It was really the first major opinion in my life but I wanted to remember her spunky and sweet, not forgetting who her own family was.  I feel sorry for my cousins... for not taking the time to get to know her when she was alive but then that seems to be the way most of them are, not taking the time until the end is near. *smh*

I also know my Grams quite well as I've said before on here.  ^w^  We write letters to each other a lot and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  She and Okaasan are in my list of besties.  They're amazing women whom I love very much.  My family means so so SO much to me.  Cody gives me crap about "cutting the umbilical cord" cause I get super bummed out when we can't get back to see them often, lol.  Like right now I can't wait for my baby shower and it's not really because of the shower, it's that I get to see them.  ^w^

4 comments:

OnyxHIikari on January 26, 2011 at 10:40 AM said...

I love this photo. I don't think have any pictures of my maternal side :( But pictures like this are so special. ♥

AubreyMo on January 26, 2011 at 10:54 AM said...

You're gonna make me cry! That picture and those memories are so magical and precious. Don't ever try to "cut the cord". Seriously. It's the most precious thing ever - our guys can just suck it up for the time being. ;)

Bitten Usagi on January 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM said...

@onyxhikari
I think so too. I feel really blessed to have things like this. Really it's one of the reasons I love photography, capturing a moment in time. :)

Bitten Usagi on January 28, 2011 at 1:33 PM said...

@AubreyMo
No crying! :( Yeah I don't plan on it any time soon so he's just going to have to put his big boy pants on and deal with it, haha. What doesn't kill them makes them stronger right? :P

 

Bitten Usagi Copyright © 2010 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template Graphic from Enakei